Like I said we are going for a picnic tomorrow and I wanted to make something for us to take instead of sandwiches. I created this pretty funky picnic loafy, bready, traybakey thing and filled it with all the things we all love. I used a simple potato focaccia recipe as the base and then tweaked it a few times over the past few days (with the help of my little baby led weaned assistant). I added Olives for Dylan, Onions for Joe, Asparagus for Evan and a load of other things that we all like. Here is what I came up with, I hope you like it…
100g Gluten Free Oats, blended into coarse flour
100g Gluten Free Flour
1.5tsp Baking Powder
3 Large Eggs
125ml Coconut Oil
125ml Coconut Milk drink
4 Spring Onions, finely chopped
3 Potatoes, grated
1 tsp Dried Sage
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
100g Dairy free, Soya Free Cheese (I used Violife original flavour block), grated
3 Stalks of Asparagus
24 Green Olives, pitted
40g Pumpkin Seeds
2tsp Olive Oil
2tsp Agave Syrup
- Mix the Oats, Flour and baking powder together in a big bowl.
- Use a muslin or cheesecloth to squeeze all the liquid out of the grated potatoes. Add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix the eggs, oil, milk, onions, herbs and cheese and give it a good stir.
- Pour into a greased and lined rectangular tin. Slice the Asparagus into thin strips and lay on top of the focaccia dough. Stud the bread with olives.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 170ºC and bake for 10mins.
- Mix the pumpkin seeds, oil and agave. Take the bread out of the oven and sprinkle the pumpkin seeds over the top and then bake for another 30mins, or until the top is golden brown and a cake tester comes out fairly clean.
- Cool and cut into pieces and serve on a blanket in the sunshine.
Thanks for reading